Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Ollie's First Zoo Trip & Shark Encounters

We took Eleanor and Oliver to the zoo one day in April.  I came across the pictures in Shutterfly and realized I never shared them.  Gotta document baby's first trip to the zoo!!



Well, Ollie slept 95% of the time but big sissy enjoyed the day!



The train is one of Elle's favorite parts of the zoo.  She (we) loves screaming in the dark tunnels.



This trip was the first time we ever stopped at the stingray exhibit.  Going on a Saturday this area is usually packed but this particular weekday we practically had the zoo to ourselves.



I was hovering pretty closely over Elle and Eric during this.  One of the workers could sense my anxiety and reassured me the stingrays were fine...she did warn to pull Elle's hand up if a shark went by.  Wait, what? Sharks!??! 



They were small, bull sharks maybe?  I even asked if the sharks teeth were removed so they couldn't bite :) :)....still have all their chompers but they kept trying to reassure me that everything would be fine.



Just when I started to get on board they announced it was the stingrays feeding time.  You could buy a little cup of fish for $1 so Eric went to grab one for Elle.  I (still asking all the questions) asked if the sharks are blocked off during the feeding time...nope!  They just stressed to make sure and pull your hand (holding a fish) out of the water if a shark approaches because they will try to grab it.  I felt like I was the only one who thought this whole process was bizarre...and dangerous.  



Mama bear was on the LOOK-OUT! This is the look Eric was giving me as I would yell "shark, shark, SHAAAARRRRK!!!" to Eric for him to pull Elle's teeny tiny hand out of the water.



Needless to say I'm ok with skipping this section on future zoo trips.


No comments:

Post a Comment